Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I first want to apologize for not being around for the past week or so.  Unfortunately, there was a series of unfortunate events that we could not have foreseen.  The good news is I am back online now and will be working this site even more than I did before.  For those that are interested, read on and you will find out exactly what happened and just how lucky we ended up.

For those that are not aware of our lifestyle, Kylie and I live full time in a motor home and travel the country.  We left California in the spring and spent the summer in Southwest Missouri with my family.

Last Wednesday morning we left Columbia Missouri, heading to St. Louis on our way to Florida.  We got a couple of miles down the road and the engine started making a bit of a rattling noise.  We pulled off the side of the road and checked things out but there was no one in the area that we could have look at the engine.  So we drove a few miles until we found a Freightliner repair shop.  We stopped there and they told me that there was no one there that could work on gas engines.  So we decided to drive on to Kingdom City.  About 4 miles before we got to the Kingdom City exit, the rattle became very loud and was obviously from one of the engines cylinders.   We were lucky in that there was an exit right there.  We pulled off and called a mechanic from Kingdom City to come take a look at it.  He agreed with what we had diagnosed, so we had it towed to his shop where we could get an estimate on repair.

The tow, which was only 4 miles total, cost us $225!  After a couple of hours of being there they told us that the engine was going to have to be replaced and it was going to cost between $5000 and $6000.  So, we started panicking.  A little while later they told us that it was actually going to cost between $7000 and $8000.  Ok, even more panicking.  Then a while later the owner of the shop showed up and said that there was no way they could do it for less than $9000.  It might as well have been $100,000, because there was no way that we were going to be able to get that kind of money.

Kylie's parents came from St. Louis the next day, we rented a U-Haul to take all of our stuff to St. Louis.  I called a couple of salvage and scrap dealers to try and sell our home for scrap.  No one would take it.  All we could do at that point was to head to St. Louis and see what we could come up with.  It just so happened that Kylie's mother has a cousin with a piece of property and he said we could park the rig there while we worked on it ourselves.  I hope that we can fix it ourselves for less than $1000.  I am going to try anyway.  So, we had the rig towed the 160 miles or so from where it was to where we are now storing it.  That tow cost us $1000!

Well, that left us homeless, so to speak.  It just so happened that Kylie 's grandmother is in a nursing home and will likely never leave that facility.  Her house is full of junk, important papers, photographs and family records that go back to the late 1800s.  So, Kylie's mother suggested we stay in that house for the winter and help her go through all of that stuff and get the house in a condition that it can be sold once Kylie's grandmother passes away.  She will likely pass this winter.

We didn't make it to Florida like we had planned, but we are ok.  We are in Illinois. Kylie has a potential job lined up.  I am going to be focusing on our online businesses, organizing all of the stuff in this house and distributing Juice Plus+.  BTW - if anyone uses Juice Plus+ or are interested in doing so, let me know and I will hook you up.

No comments: